Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Tracks all over the place



I feel so fortunate to have had the opportunity to be in the woods with Dan again. I am learning so much, and things that I wouldn't have even looked for before now I am not only seeing but recognizing too! The big prints are exciting, especially the surprise of the bobcat, but I actually find myself enjoying the little ones the most. Something about the little mice and chipmunks are so adorable and delicate, it just makes my heart melt. I think in some ways it goes back to my belief statement and seeing value in everything. While these small animals are often overlooked, they have important lives too that deserve to be noticed and appreciated.
I can't believe Dan is letting us borrow traps to record footprints. I was a little nervous about using them with our original study because I didn't want to disturb the natural patterns, but now that we are just trying to see what is there I am so excited to use them.
Randy has been so great during this whole process, too. It is very refreshing to know there are people like him in this world that truly care about their land, their communities, sharing knowledge, and just being kind to others.
Back in the classroom I got to facilitate my reading today. I was surprisingly nervous, there have been so many great presentations I didn't want mine to fall short. But I thought that the class did a great job with the community maps I gave them and that some fantastic ideas for place-based education were shared. I also enjoyed the presentation before me, particularly the game and the questions on the back of the cookies.
This week has gone by so much faster than the first week! I can't believe tomorrow is Thursday. It will be great to put out our traps, sand traps, and camera to see what wanders through over the long weekend.

No comments: