Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Appreciating Nature's Beauty


No two trees are the same to the raven
No two branches are the same to the wren


These lines really struck me from Vicky's poetry reading today. In this class I have been working hard to indentify plants by species, but I must remember to look at them as beautiful individuals that make individual contributions to the world, as well. We did this on the first day, when we qualitatively chose a spot and a tree to observe, and while doing so I felt so at peace. Yes, now I can look at the woods with more knowlege about exactly what is and was there, but I don't want to let that overpower the love I have for simply appreciating nature for it's peaceful beauty.


I loved the values trading activity. It really made me think about what is important to me right now, and how that might change in the future. It was also really intersting to see what was important to others in the class. I chose "a long and happy marriage." To me, if I have that I know I will have atleast one person in this world that appreciates and loves me for who I am, and therefore my other important values will also be supported. And maybe I'm just a little bit of a romantic, too.

In other news, our project proposal just received a thumbs up so we will be on our way to the farm in less than an hour! I'm not only excited to start our project but also just to spend more time on the farm and the beautiful land surrounding it.

No comments: